Friday, February 5, 2010

Guacamole Heaven

Controversial Guacamole Recipe You'll Love



Do not argue with me or say eeuuwww, this is the best guacamole recipe on Earth, and that's all there is to it. Just give it a try and you'll see.

2 large, ripe Hass avocados, mashed into chunky consistency (reserve the pits)
2 firm, medium sized Roma or vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/4" dice
1 small white onion, cut into 1/4" dice
1 large jalapeno, seeded and scraped to remove pith, minced into small specks
2 heaping Tbs. chopped cilantro
1 heaping Tbs. good quality mayonnaise (I said no arguing)
Sea salt to taste
Using rubber gloves or Baggies over your hands, squeeze all ingredients together in a roomy bowl until well mixed.
Place pits in the bottom of a clean bowl and spoon guacamole over them. The pits keep the guacamole from turning brown. You can add a little lime juice on top to retard browning if you must.
Garnish with a little bit of chopped tomatoes, onions and a little cilantro.
Serve with tortilla chips.

Now, listen to me and stop that smirking. The mayo adds a creaminess that elevates this dish to another dimension. You cannot taste it per se, you just notice something extra that makes the avocados taste even more avocadoey.
The jalapeno is minced extra fine and seeded and depithed to distribute the heat without blistering your little pink tongue. Just add more if you are some kind of heat freak, really, it's okay.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. day-um, that sounds good. i love, love, love guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Nonnie. I could eat an entire gallon paint can of it, and I wouldn't even need chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayonnaise... who knew? And the pits?! Wow. I have learned so much today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No "euuuww"ing here - it looks delicious and I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. I guess I vastly overestimated the ick factor of added mayonnaise. Good.
    Big Sis reminded me that our cousin used to add a dollop of small curd cottage cheese to hers. It's actually a great way to stretch the recipe when avocados are off season and cost a small fortune. But no mayo in that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can't argue about the mayo, can I at least protest the baggies/rubber gloves? You take all the fun out of it!

    ReplyDelete